Marquis of Townshend in 1792
May 28th, 2014 by bluegullinn
The bay was originally named “Port Townshend” by Captain George Vancouver (for his friend the Marquis of Townshend) in 1792. It was immediately recognized as a good safe harbor, although strong south winds and poor holding ground often make small craft anchorage problematic off the town’s waterfront.
The official European-American settlement of the city of the same name took place on the 24th of April, 1851. American Indian tribes located in what is now Jefferson County in the mid-19th century included the Chimakum (or Chemakum), Hoh (a group of the Quileute), Klallam (or Clallam), Quinault and Twana (the Kilcid band — Anglicized: Quilcene).
Port Townsend is also called the “City of Dreams” because of the early speculation that the city would be the largest harbor on the west coast of the United States.